Are you looking for the perfect healthy snack or potluck dish? If so, this cowboy caviar is a great choice. It is full of nutrients and is very filling due to all of the beans and vegetables that are used in the dish. It can be served with anything that you choose, whether it be tortilla chips, in a tortilla shell, or even on a salad! It’s a much healthier alternative to creamy dips, and it’s equally as delicious!
For the vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Finely grated zest of 1 medium lime
- Juice of 1 medium lime
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the cowboy caviar:
- 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium Roma or plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, seeded and diced small
- 1/2 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 medium red onion, small dice
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- Chopped fresh cilantro
Make the vinaigrette: Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and whisk until well-combined.
Make the cowboy caviar: Add the black-eyed peas, black beans, garlic, tomatoes, bell pepper, jalapeño, red onion, and corn to the bowl of dressing and toss until well-coated. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, then toss again and garnish with cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips, on a salad, or in a tortilla.
Storage: Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 1 week.
Make ahead: The vinaigrette can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored an airtight container in the refrigerator.