If you are wanting to put a new spin on a Caesar salad, try out the broccoli and kale Caesar salad! The caesar dressing is completely vegan, but its creamy texture and taste do a great job at complementing the broccoli and kale. The homemade croutons top this salad off!
For the croutons and salad:
- 4 ounces stale bread (about 1/2 medium baguette)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- 1 large head broccoli (about 1 pound), cut into florets
- 6 small cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 medium bunch kale (about 12 ounces), stems removed and leaves coarsely torn
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup tightly packed fresh parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
For the dressing:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in 1 cup of boiling water for 2 to 8 hours
- 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Make the croutons and roast the broccoli: Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 400°F.
Cut the bread into 1/2-inch pieces. Place on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil, and season with salt. Spread into an even layer. Bake, stirring halfway through, until evenly browned on all sides, about 15 minutes total. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside to cool.
Place the broccoli florets and unpeeled garlic cloves on the same baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil, toss to combine, and spread into an even layer. Roast until the broccoli is just starting to turn golden-brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and set aside.
Make the dressing: Squeeze out the garlic from their skins into a high-powered blender. Drain the water from the cashews and add to the blender. Add the broth or water, oil, capers, and lemon juice. Blend on high speed until very smooth (if it is too thick, blend in a few more splashes of water). Taste and season well with salt and pepper; set aside.
Assemble the salad: Place the kale, remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, and a big pinch of salt in a large bowl. Massage with your hands to soften the leaves, then let sit for 5 minutes. Add the roasted broccoli, cannellini beans, croutons, and parsley and toss to combine. Add the dressing and toss to combine. Sprinkle with the sunflower seeds.